OWNING KANGAL DOGS
The Kangal Dog is a livestock guardian dog, large, instinctive, intelligent, independent, and strong-willed. It is not the dog for everyone. If you are looking for an "easy" dog that lives to please, have little or no experience with training dogs, not prepared to ensure that your dog gets steady, regular exercise, the Kangal Dog is not for you.
Each "misplaced", mishandled dog that winds up in Rescue or dead is a loss. Know what you are getting into. Think carefully about the responsibilities of owning a Kangal Dog.
Interest in the Kangal Dog Breed
Dog Owning History
- How much have you read about the Kangal Dog?
- Why are you interested in owning a Kangal Dog?
- Do you prefer a male or female, and why? How important is gender to you?
General Environment for Kangal Dog
- Do you own any dog?
- Describe the other dogs you own / have ever owned. (breed, name, gender, spayed, neutered, intact, your age at the time, was the dog ever bred?, what happened to the dog?)
- Do you have any other pets?
- What is the worst behavior problem any of your dogs has ever displayed? Were you able to correct that problem?
- Have you ever taken an obedience course or other kind of training with your dog?
General Training and Socialization
- What role(s) you expect your Kangal Dog to fill (companion, livestock guardian, family/household protector, show dog, obedience or agility competition).
- Will the dog live primarily in the house, or outside?
- How will you confine your dog when it is outdoors? (Yard/farm, type of fencing, height of fencing, and size of fenced area)
- Do you foresee additional members joining your household (babies, adopted children, elderly parents) during the life span of a dog?
- Is anyone in your household allergic to animals?
- Does anyone in your household have asthma?
- For companion dogs, how many hours per workday/school day is your house empty of people?
- Are you likely to be moving in the next five years?
Formal Training for Your Dog
- How much time each day will your dog generally be around people?
- How much time will you spend actively training / relating to / involved with your dog?
- What would you do if your Kangal Dog did the following?
- Barked a lot while out in the backyard (puppy or adult dog)
- You are walking your dog on a leash and encounter another person walking a dog on a leash. Your dog acts aggressive toward the other dog (puppy or adult dog)
- You are in a public place with your dog off lead, and he's running and playing. Your dog gets into a fight with another dog. (puppy or adult dog)
- Your dog growls at you when you attempt to take away a toy or food (puppy or adult dog)
- Your dog pees or defecates in the house or car (puppy or adult dog)
- How much, how often, and what kind of exercise will your dog get? Where?
- Any other kind of activities do you plan to do with your dog?
- What do you plan to feed your Kangal Dog?
- What training methods you would use to train your dog and to correct behaviors that you don't like.
- What sort of training (formal or informal) do you plan to do with your Kangal Dog?
- Who would you contact if you needed help with a behavior problem with your dog?
- Under what circumstances would you NOT keep this dog? (Divorce, move, new baby, dog's illness, owner's illness, other)
- Are you interested in breeding Kangal Dogs?
All the material listed and linked at this World Wide Web domain are strictly private property and copyrighted.
Levent Ozturk. All rights reserved. Reproduction or use of any material, documents and related graphics and any other material
from this World Wide Web server is strictly prohibited.